Teaching Assistant Level I Application Instructions and Requirements
TEACHING ASSISTANT LEVEL I
CERTIFICATE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Applications must be submitted electronically via the NYSED Office of Teaching Initiatives TEACH website at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/.
If you do not have a TEACH Online Services account, you will need to create one. If you previously created an account that you are unable to access, contact TEACH Help at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Log in to your TEACH account and submit an application for the Teaching Assistant Level I certificate. Assign the application to Eastern Suffolk BOCES for review. The application fee of $35.00 must be paid online with a credit card.
- Submit a copy of your high school diploma or transcript with your date of birth written on it to the Eastern Suffolk BOCES Certification Office.
- Submit official transcripts of all college coursework completed. Electronic transcripts must be sent to email@example.com. Paper transcripts can be mailed to the Eastern Suffolk BOCES Certification Office in a sealed envelope from the college. If you have foreign education, your application must be reviewed by the NYSED Office of Teaching Initiatives.
- Complete the NYS Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) exam. Information on registering for the exam can be found at www.nystce.nesinc.com. The test fee is $54.00.
- Complete the Child Abuse Identification and Reporting workshop. A list of approved providers for this workshop can be found at www.op.nysed.gov/training/caproviders.htm. Cost varies by provider.
- Complete the School Violence Prevention and Intervention workshop. A list of approved providers for this workshop can be found at www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/ssae/schoolsafety/save/svpiproviders.html. Cost varies by provider.
- Complete the Dignity For All Students Act (DASA) workshop. A list of approved providers for this workshop can be found at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/dasa-applicant.html. Cost varies by provider.
- Apply for fingerprint clearance through MorphoTrust at www.identogo.com using Service Code 14ZGQT. The cost is $101.75.
The Level I Teaching Assistant certificate will be valid for three years. You may proceed to the Level I Renewal, Level II, Level III, or Pre-Professional Teaching Assistant certificate depending on your individual circumstances.
CONTACT THE EASTERN SUFFOLK BOCES CERTIFICATION OFFICE WITH QUESTIONS