Frequently Asked Questions

    I'm interested in becoming a certified teacher in New York State.  What do I need to know?
    Visit the New York State Office of Teaching Initiatives website to learn about the certificates that are available, the requirements for each, and the pathways to certification.
    Can I obtain an application for certification from the Regional Certification Office?
    No.  All applications must be submitted electronically using the New York State TEACH Online Services website.
    Can the Regional Certification Office evaluate my application for certification?
    The BOCES Regional Certification Office is authorized by the State Education Department to evaluate and recommend certification for most certificate titles.  The following certificate titles cannot be evaluated by BOCES: Adult Education, Bilingual Education, Career and Technical Education, Educational Technology, English to Speakers of Other Languages, Family and Consumer Sciences, Health Education, Leadership Certificates, Statements of Continued Eligibility, Students With Disabilities Subject Area Extensions, Supplementary Certificates, and Technology Education.  Also, we cannot evaluate applicants applying through the Approved Teacher Preparation Program Pathways or the Interstate Applicant Pathways.
    Can the Regional Certification Office issue my certificate?
    No.  The Regional Certificate Office does not have the authority to issue certificates.  Your actual certificate will be issued by the New York State Office of Teaching Initiatives.
    Can I make an appointment to receive assistance from the Regional Certification Office?
    Most assistance can be provided via email or over the telephone.  The certification specialists can be reached at or (631) 687-3020 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (3:00 p.m. during July and August).  You will be informed if there is a need to schedule an appointment.
    Can I make an appointment to have my transcripts reviewed by the Regional Certification Office?
    The Regional Certification Office cannot perform informal evaluations.  You must submit your application on the TEACH Online Services website and select the option to have your application reviewed by the BOCES Regional Certification Office.  Evaluations are not done by appointment; they are completed in the order in which the application and supporting documentation are received by the Certification Office.
    I want to be evaluated by the Regional Certification Office at Eastern Suffolk BOCES.  What do I need to do?
    If you live in or work in one of Eastern Suffolk BOCES' 51 component school districts and you are applying for a certificate title that can be assigned to a local BOCES office, you can have your application evaluated by our certification specialists.  Please note the list above of certificate titles and pathways which we cannot evaluate.  You must first submit your application for certification on the TEACH Online Services website and select the option to have your application reviewed by the Eastern Suffolk BOCES Regional Certification Office.  Send all official transcripts and other required documentation to our office along with a $35 money order payable to Eastern Suffolk BOCES.  Our mailing address is 201 Sunrise Highway, Patchogue, New York 11772.
    I hold a certificate from another state.  Can I teach in New York State?
    You must hold a New York State certificate to be employed in a New York State public school.  Information for Applicants From Other States.
    Am I required to complete Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE)?
    New York State requires holders of Professional certificates and Level III Teaching Assistant certificates with active registration to complete 100 hours of Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) during each registration period. More information on Registration and CTLE requirements.
    I am interested in obtaining a temporary coaching license.  What do I need to know?
    If you hold a valid teaching, administrative, or pupil personnel certificate, you are not required to obtain a temporary coaching license from New York State.  Non-teacher coaches must have an offer of employment in order to qualify for a temporary coaching license.  Information on Temporary Coaching Licenses.