View the following documents in Adobe Acrobat PDF
The monthly Arts-In-Education Newsletter, The Star
, features the Top Ten
AIE programs for the month as well detailing the many programs taking place in each
of your districts. It profiles one or more programs and events and then informs
you of meetings and more.
School Year 2010/2011
- See the new format for District Stars. We want to include your evaluations as part of this new look – and photos when available. Review of ‘Your Role as an Audience Member’ and info on the US Dept of Education Arts Education Model Demonstration and Dissemination Program that ESB Arts-in-Education office received!
- October 2010
Check out the upcoming Block Booked programs and activities! Read about well-received programs with quotes from the participating schools. Learn about how the arts engage 21st C skills and how PD in arts integration for non-arts teachers helps create new arts advocates. Learn about two of the new Arts in Education and Exploratory Enrichment programs available.
- November 2010
Find new Arts-in-Education and Exploratory Enrichment artists and presenters for the 2010-11 school. Read about meetings in Albany with Commissioner Steiner, Regent Tilles and more.
- December 2010
See our new feature where we are aligning the comments from the evaluations to the programs used in many districts! Also update on the NYSED Arts-in-Ed audit, defining Arts Integration from the Kennedy Center, the new collaborative between School Library Services and Arts-in-Ed regarding our Inquiry Learning Initiative, “Closing the Innovation Gap” from Judy Estrin and more.
- January 2011
Read about teachers’ reactions to recent programs. Learn about SEADAE – State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education National Task force for re-conceptualizing National Content Standards for the Arts. Hope to see many PTA Cultural Arts Reps and Arts-in-Ed Support Staff at Jan. 24th meeting.
- February 2011
Read about the International Performing Arts for Youth Showcase (IPAY) programs that might be available for next school year. Learn about “Designing an Arts Education Policy” from NY’s own Arts Ed maven, Jane Remer ( see http://www.thegreatlecturelibrary.com/index.php?select=speaker&data=481 for Jane’s credentials).
- March 2011 Check the heartfelt postings from students on the NY Times online Learning Network as to what they think of Arts Education. See Bruce Taylor’s EdWeek article on Why Not Let the Arts Teach 21st C Skills. Learn about the common message of Hip Hop and Education. Program Profiles includes a collaboration between Deer Park and North Babylon schools with
Metro Chamber Orchestra. And see the Calendar for upcoming arts in ed and arts ed
- April 2011 See what programs districts around Suffolk are booking and their reactions to how these program impact student learning. Read about creativity in the classroom. Relive this year’s LI Media Arts Show.
- May 2011 Read about the Paper Orchestra, Safe Play and ASCD’s Creativity
Recipe in this month’s issue. Learn about the wide range of videoconferencing experiences
for both students and teachers with the Cleveland Museum of Art.
- June 2011 Our last newsletter of the 10-11 school year brings program reviews from Half Hollow Hills and Commack schools. It introduces the new LI Student Shakespeare Festival to take place April 2012. There is also a comprehensive review of the latest Federal documentation and support for arts education from the USDOE’s Office of Innovation and Improvement and National Center for Education Statistics, the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities, and the 2010 National Arts Policy Roundtable. Please share this link with your district and building administration staff.